To prescribe the rules for using an Alternative Proceed Authority (APA) in the Network.
An APA may be used to authorise rail traffic movements when the Proceed Authority normally provided by the system of Safeworking is not available.
During APA working, safe separation between rail traffic movements must be maintained.
Unless entry is authorised, rail traffic must be restrained from entering the limits of APA working.
An APA must:
- specify the limit of authority for the movements that it authorises; and
- specify the line to be used, but not specify routes within yard limits of attended locations and remotely controlled locations; and
- specify any additional speed restrictions that must be applied.
An APA may:
- include single or multiple blocks through single or multiple sections,
- allow removal of a train in portions from a section,
- be partially fulfilled.