This Standard specifies the performance requirements and gives design and testing methods for new prestressed concrete sleepers for use in railway track with continuously welded rail. It provides methods for determining loads on sleepers and refers to AS 1085.19 for requirements for resilient fastening systems.
This Standard is based on knowledge and experience of the following conditions of use:
- Train speeds less than 200 km/h.
- Sleeper spacing in the range 500 mm to 750 mm.
- Axle loads less than 50 tonnes.
Where parameters outside these limits are encountered, the general principles given in this Standard may be applied. However, the criteria in the Standard may not be sufficient and consideration should be taken of the intended conditions of use and the factors and methods used for design adjusted accordingly.
This Standard does not cover the following:
- Design of post-tensioned concrete sleepers.
- Design of duo block concrete sleepers.
- Sleepers for use interspersed with other types of sleeper (e.g. timber or steel).
- Techniques and equipment for the manufacture of concrete sleepers.