The purpose of this Code of Practice (CoP) is to provide rail transport operators (RTO) operating light rail networks a consistent approach to safeworking.
This Code should be read in conjunction with AS 7601.1 which provides requirements and recommendations for the management of light rail vehicle movements.
This Code should be applied by all light rail operators within Australia and New Zealand.
The scope incorporates setting out principles for the safe operation of a light rail network, including:
- fundamental principles of safeworking;
- safe operation of rolling stock, including maintenance vehicles;
- management of failure situations;
- management of access to the light rail corridor;
- managing works on, or in proximity to, a light rail network, including operation of on track vehicles, plant and equipment associated with those works;
- management of access to hazardous equipment.