Overview of Courses
RISSB offers courses with nationally recognised competencies (approved by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA)) as well as other industry relevant courses.
Two types of courses are available:
Learning Express: short, online, self-paced courses
- Introduction to Rail Safety
- Rail Safety Worker Obligations
- Safety Critical Communications for Protection Officers
Classroom courses: face to face with a trainer
- Apply Safety Critical Communications in the Rail Environment (TLIF0008)
- Investigate Rail Safety Incidents (TLIF5017)
- Undertake a Derailment Investigation (TLIF5023)
Learning Express courses are delivered in modules that are completed sequentially in your own time. There may be activities to assist learning within the course, with additional optional activities included as part of the course materials. Assessment quizzes are provided at either at the end of modules or the end of the course which a student must complete and pass.
For Classroom courses, a Student Manual is provided and will be utilised by the trainer in delivering the course. The trainer will integrate additional/optional information as required to support the learning experience.
Completing the courses
Classroom courses are usually delivered over 3 – 4 days in a classroom environment. These courses will be offered on a specific timetable, with details of course dates included when they are advertised for enrolment. The courses may include theory and practical assessments. Students are required to complete all assessments within an agreed timeframe to reach competency.
If your organisation wants to discuss a specific delivery option tailored for the organisation, please contact RISSB at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrolling in a course
Enrolling as an individual
- for Learning Express courses, please contact RISSB on 07 3724 0000 or via email@example.com.
- for Classroom courses, RISSB offers courses at set dates and times through a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). Please check the RISSB website www.rissb.com.au or contact RISSB via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enrolling as a group
If an organisation wants to enrol several people in a particular course, please contact RISSB at email@example.com to process and, if applicable, apply any group booking discounts.
Course fees vary and are outlined on the RISSB website www.rissb.com.au.
For all courses, RISSB members receive a discount that is calculated at enrolment.
Further pricing options/discounts are available for group bookings of 10 or more participants. If an organisation or part of an organisation wants to make a bulk booking or become a RISSB member before enrolling, please contact RISSB at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment for Classroom courses will be arranged through RISSB by contacting email@example.com.
Course cancellations and refunds
Learning Express courses are non-refundable once a student has commenced the course. If a student does not start a course they have enrolled in, a refund will be payable subject to a nominal administration fee.
The following terms and conditions are applied to Classroom courses:
- Courses are non-refundable once a student commences the course.
- If a student withdraws from a course up to 7 days in advance of the start of the course, a full refund will be payable less an administration fee.
- If a student withdraws from a course between 4 and 6 days in advance of the start of the course, the refund penalty will be 25% of the course fee.
- If a student withdraws from a course between 2 and 3 days in advance of the start of the course, the penalty will be 50% of the course fee.
- If a student withdraws from a course between 1 day in advance of the start of the course, or on the start date of the course, no refund will be payable.
If a student fails to start the course, no refund will payable.
Training support from RISSB
RISSB offers training support through:
- A dedicated email firstname.lastname@example.org which is monitored during normal business hours. This should be used for all general questions or non-urgent issues.
- A technical help desk from 8am – 5pm Mon-Fri. This should be used for technical assistance only when undertaking a course. Technical assistance includes problems with accessing your course. It does not cover general queries in relation to course content. Helpdesk contact details are provided on enrolment in a course.